Dr. Sumit Sinha Ray is serving as an Assistant Professor at Department of Textile and Fibre Engineering, IIT Delhi from Dec 2021. Before joining IIT Delhi, he was an associated with IIT Mandi from 2017-2021 as an Assistant Professor in School of Engineering. Dr. Sinha Ray is also associated with Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering as an Adjunct Assistant Professor. He completed his bachelor’s in metallurgical engineering from Jadavpur University, Kolkata and pursued his PhD and Post-Doc from University of Illinois at Chicago under the guidance of Distinguished Prof. Alexander L. Yarin. Dr. Sinha Ray has published more than 25 articles in peer-reviewed international journals/conference proceedings with an h-index of 14. His research interest is to investigate heat-mass transfer phenomena, energy conversion/storage using nanoarchitecture from polymeric materials. So far, he has been involved with 4 external and one internal research grant (IIT Mandi) of total 182 lakhs. He is currently mentoring 2 PhD students from IIT Mandi, with several MTech students being graduated from his lab. Dr. Sinha-Ray has served as a reviewer for more than 15 international journals, and as guest editor for a special issue in Polymers (MDPI). His group has submitted two Indian patents in 2021 on valorization of waste polymeric materials into value-added products and processes to do the same. Apart from these, he was avidly involved with NSS activities across Mandi town, and he is a sports enthusiast, loves to write and recite poems in his leisure time.
- Design of experiments and statistical techniques (IIT Delhi)
- Materials science for engineers (IIT Mandi)
- Fluid flow and heat transfer in energy systems (IIT Mandi)
- Air/Water Filtration
- Porous Materials for Energy Applications
- Experimental and Theoretical Thermal-Fluid Sciences at the Micro/Nanoscale
- Characteristics and New Methodologies of Nonwoven Micro/Nanofiber
- Drug Delivery
R & D PROJECTS
- Efficient Removal of Most Penetrating Particles (diameter~ 300 nm) from Air/Water Using Supersonically blown Ultrafine PVDF Nanofibers (PI),DST-SERB, 3.5 Years (2018-2022), INR 48.63 lakhs
- Treatment of Acid Mine Drainage for Heavy Metal Removal (PI),Ministry of Mines, 1 year (2019) INR 19.84 lakhs
- Development of Biodegradable Polymer Based Ultrafine Nanofibrous Filter Membrane for Heavy Metal Removal (PI),Seed Grant-IIT Mandi, 3 Years (2017-2020), INR 10 lakhs
- Metal Organic Material (MOM) Embedded Electrospun Carbon Nanofiber (CNF) for Symmetric and Asymmetric Supercapacitor (Co-PI),DST-MES, 3 Years (2019-2022), INR 51.68 lakhs
- Engineering Novel Nanocomposites for Energy Storage and Conversion (Co-PI),DST-SPARC, 2 Years (2019-2021), INR 47 lakhs
- International Conference on Recent Advances in Fluid and Thermal Sciences (iCRAFT 2018) on the topic of ultrafine polymer nanofiber nanotexture to improve nucleation in pool boiling
- 16th Prof. J. M. Dassarma Memorial Lecture organized by Former Students' Association of Physics in collaboration with Department of Physics, Scottish Church College on the topic of my experiments at zero gravity
- Jawaharlal Nehru Government Engineering College Sundernagar, Mandi H.P. on the topic of nanofibers and their manufacturing
- The Technological Institute of Textile & Sciences in the lecture series of ‘Technical Textiles’ on porous polymer fiber membrane
- Plenary speech on nanofibers and their role in particulate matter filtration at Advances in Textile materials and Process (ATMP-2021) at Uttar Pradesh Textile Technology Institute.
- Recycling waste plastic bottles into nanofibers for face mask applications
- Removal of heavy metals from wastewater using solution blown nanofibrous membrane
International peer-reviewed journals
- Sumit Sinha-Ray, Suman Sinha-Ray, Hari Sriram, Alexander L. Yarin, Flow of suspensions of carbon nanotubes carrying phase change materials through microchannels and heat transfer enhancement, Lab Chip, 2014,14, 494-508 (This article was chosen as ‘Hot Article’ on Lab on Chip).
- Sumit Sinha-Ray, Suman Sinha-Ray, Alexander L Yarin, Behnam Pourdeyhimi, Application of solution-blown 20–50nm nanofibers in filtration of nanoparticles: The efficient van der Waals collectors, Journal of Membrane Science, 2015, 485, 132-150.
- Sumit Sinha-Ray, Suman Sinha-Ray, Alexander L Yarin, Behnam Pourdeyhimi, Theoretical and experimental investigation of physical mechanisms responsible for polymer nanofiber formation in solution blowing, Polymer, 2015, 56, 452-463.
- Sumit Sinha-Ray, Wenshuo Zhang, Barak Stoltz, Rakesh P. Sahu, Suman Sinha-Ray, Alexander L. Yarin, Swing-like pool boiling on nano-textured surfaces for microgravity applications related to cooling of high-power microelectronics, Nature Microgravity, 2017, 3:9.
- Sumit Sinha-Ray, Wenshuo Zhang, Rakesh P. Sahu, Suman Sinha-Ray, Alexander L. Yarin, Pool boiling of Novec 7300 and DI water on nano-textured heater covered with supersonically blown or electrospun polymer nanofibers, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 2017, 106, 482-490.
- Seongpil An‡ Yong Il Kim‡ Sumit Sinha-Ray‡, Min-Woo Kim, Hong Seok Jo, Mark T. Swihart, Alexander L. Yarin, Sam S. Yoon, Facile processes for producing robust, transparent, conductive platinum nanofiber mats, Nanoscale, 2017, 9, 6076-6084 (‡ Equal Contribution).
- Sebnem Duzyer‡, Sumit Sinha-Ray‡, Suman Sinha-Ray, Alexander L. Yarin, Transparent conducting electrodes from conducting polymer nanofibers and their application as thin-film heaters, Macromolecular Materials and Engineering, 2017, 302, 1700188 (‡ Equal Contribution).
- Suman Sinha-Ray, Sumit Sinha-Ray, Alexander L. Yarina, Christina M. Weickgenannt, Johannes Emmert, Cameron Tropea, Drop impactcooling enhancement on nano-textured surfaces. part II: results of the parabolic flight experiments [zero gravity (0 g) and supergravity (1.8 g)], International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 2014, 70, 1107-1114. (Widely covered in UIC NEWS and CNN UK)
- Rakesh P Sahu, Sumit Sinha-Ray, Suman Sinha-Ray, Alexander L Yarin, Pool boiling on nano-textured surfaces comprised of electrically-assisted supersonically solution-blown, copper-plated nanofibers: Experiments and theory, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 2015, 87, 521-535.
- Rakesh P. Sahu, Sumit Sinha-Ray, Suman Sinha-Ray, Alexander L. Yarin, Pool boiling of novec 7300 and self-rewetting fluids on electrically-assisted supersonically solution-blown, copper-plated nanofibers, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 2016, 95, 83-93.
- Spela Zupancic, Sumit Sinha-Ray, Suman Sinha-Ray, Julijana Kristl, Alexander L Yarin, Long- term sustained ciprofloxacin release from pmma and hydrophilic polymer blended nanofibers, Molecular Pharmaceutics, 2016, 13 (1), 295–305.
- Spela Zupancic, Sumit Sinha-Ray, Suman Sinha-Ray, Julijana Kristl, Alexander L Yarin, Controlled release ofciprofloxacin from core-shell nanofibers with monolithic or blended core, Molecular Pharmaceutics, 2016, 13 (4),1393–1404.
- Arkaprovo Ghosal, Sumit Sinha-Ray, Suman Sinha-Ray, Alexander L Yarin, Behnam Pourdeyhimi, Numerical modeling and experimental study of solution-blown nonwovens formed on a rotating drum, Polymer, 2016, 105, 255-263.
- Suman Sinha-Ray, Min Wook Lee, Sumit Sinha-Ray, Seongpil An, Behnam Pourdeyhimi, Sam S. Yoon and Alexander L. Yarin, Supersonic nanoblowing: a new ultra-stiff phase of nylon 6 in 20–50 nm confinement, Journal of Material Chemistry C, 2013, 1, 3491-3498.
- Sebastian Fischer, Rakesh P. Sahu, Sumit Sinha-Ray, Alexander L. Yarin, Tatiana Gambaryan-Roisman, Peter Stephan, Effect of nano-textured heater surfaces on evaporation at a single meniscus, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 2017, 108, 2444-2450.
- Martin Freystein, Felix Kolberg, Lucas Spiegel, Sumit Sinha-Ray, Rakesh P. Sahu, Alexander L. Yarin, Tatiana Gambaryan-Roisman, Peter Stephan, Trains of taylor bubbles over hot nano-textured mini-channel surface, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 2016,93, 827-833.
- Viral K. Patel, Jamal Seyed-Yagoobi, Suman Sinha-Ray, Sumit Sinha-Ray, Alexander L. Yarin, EHD conduction pumping driven liquid film flow boiling on bare- and nanofiber-enhanced surfaces, Journal of Heat Transfer, 2016, 138(4), 041501-07.
- Ashish Kakoria, and Sumit Sinha-Ray*. A Review on Biopolymer-Based Fibers via Electrospinning and Solution Blowing and Their Applications. Fibers 6, no. 3 (2018): 45.
- Ashish Kakoria, Bandhana Devi, Abhishek Anand, Aditi Halder, Rik Rani Koner, and Sumit Sinha-Ray*. Gallium Oxide Nanofibers for Hydrogen Evolution and Oxygen Reduction. ACS Applied Nano Materials, 2019, 2 (1), 64-74.
- Sahil Verma, Suman Sinha-Ray, Sumit Sinha-Ray*, Electrospun cnf supported ceramics as electrochemical catalysts for water splitting and fuel cell: a review, Polymers, 2020, 12 (1), 238.
- Ashish Kakoria, Suman Sinha-Ray, Sumit Sinha-Ray*, Industrially scalable Chitosan/Nylon-6 (CS/N) nanofiber- based reusable adsorbent for efficient removal of heavy metal from water, Polymer, 2021, 213, 12333.
- Satyam Singh Thakur, Sheshang Singh Chandel, Ashish Kakoria, Sumit Sinha-Ray*, Enhancement in Pool Boiling Heat Transfer of Ethanol and Nanofluid on Novel Supersonic Nanoblown Nanofiber Textured Surface, Experimental Heat Transfer, 2021, 1-17.
- Ashish Kakoria, Ashish, Sheshang Singh Chandel, and Sumit Sinha-Ray*. Novel supersonically solution blown nanofibers from waste PET bottle for PM0.1-2 filtration: From waste to pollution mitigation. Polymer, 2021, 234, 124260.
Peer-reviewed conference proceedings
- Manoj Kumar, Vikram Bisht, Sheshang Singh Chandel, Sumit Sinha-Ray*, and Pradeep Kumar. Convective Flow of Nanofluid and Nanoencapsulated Phase Change Material Through Microchannel Heat Sink for Passive Cooling of Microelectronics, In Recent Advances in Mechanical Engineering, pp. 51-60. Springer, Singapore, 2021.
- Prakash Giri, Ashish Kakoria, Sahil Verma, and Sumit Sinha-Ray*, Reuse of Cigarette Filters for Energy Applications, In Functional Textiles and Clothing 2020, pp. 161-168. Springer, Singapore, 2021.
- Prakash Giri, Ashish Kakoria, Sahil Verma, and Sumit Sinha-Ray*, Nanofibers for Sustainable Filtration: A Waste to Energy Approach, In Machines, Mechanism and Robotics, pp. 1693-1701. Springer, Singapore, 2022.
- Anuj Kapoor, Sumit Sinha-Ray*, Numerical Study on Feasibility of Transparent Conducting Glass Usage as Window Heater for Room Heating Application (Accepted in 2nd International Conference on Recent Advances in Fluid and Thermal Sciences (iCRAFT2020) 19-21 March 2021)